In January of 1894, a group of local volunteers established The Lansdowne Fire Company to provide fire protection for the newly incorporated borough. The newly organized group elected Joseph S. Van Sandt as President and Joseph L. Lowden as the first Fire Chief. Today, well over one hundred years later the members of the Lansdowne Fire Company carry on this tradition. This all volunteer department provides the primary fire protection and emergency medical service (EMS) to the Borough of Lansdowne. They also provide mutual aid fire and EMS service to the boroughs of Clifton Heights, East Lansdowne, Yeadon, Millbourne, Collingdale, Sharon Hill, Darby and Upper Darby Township.
Known as “The Saviors of the Seventh” (being in the Seventh Fire District) coverage is provided using two engines, one truck (ladder), one heavy rescue, one ambulance, one traffic unit, one utility truck and one Chief’s car — all based at the Highland Avenue Station. The organization also maintains two antique engines that were purchased new and have never left the organization, a 1937 Autocar and a 1954 Mack. The Autocar, thought at the time to be the utmost in fire engines, was even featured at the 1939 World’s Fair In New York.
Your professionally trained Lansdowne Fire Fighters receive no pay for their time while manning the station, training or responding to calls 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The Fire Company operates a yearly fund drive where the funds collected go directly to the Fire Company to reduce cost to residents and businesses within Lansdowne. The membership is composed of about 50 active dedicated people from Lansdowne Borough and the surrounding communities. It is the goal of the Lansdowne Fire Company to continue to provide fire and EMS service to the Borough and surrounding communities for many years to come. For more information about the Lansdowne Fire Company stop by the station, or view the Lansdowne Fire Company website at lansdownefire.com.