Public Safety Committee
October 14, 2009
- Attendence: Mayor Young, Chief Kortan, M. Schleigh, Chair, Councilwoman Sizle; Arnold Moore on behalf of Chief Young
- Approval of Minutes
- Visitors – None
- Mayor’s Corner – No Formal comments
- Chief Young – Absent. Mr. Moore commented on issues to the extent possible under items below.
- Chief Kortan’s Updates
- Business Crime Event Training w/ LBPA was well received.
- Traffic Fine Signs well received by public. Will be rotating.
- Promotion Exam to beheld Dec. 3.
- Arts festival – No issues
- Park Day – No issues.
- Manor Burglaries – arrest made. Property recovered.
- Other reports
- Traffic Advisory Committee Info from Swarthmore – Proposed resolution reviewed. Discussion tabled for further review.
- Comprehensive Crime Prevention Plan – discussion tabled pending inventory of current drafts and additions and making police officers available.
- Firehouse Physical Plant Issues Follow Up – Fire Co. to work with Finance committee to generate video and letter in support of grant application to Sestak’s office.
- Emergency Access Plan – Table pending Chief Young return.
- Use Bucket Truck for Banners – Possible training needed if FD to use, will forward to Borough Manager for action item.
- Banner Locations – Nyaack explored. Would likely need PennDOT and PECO approval.
- Need help keeping fire lanes clear in front of Ardmore School – Police patrol will be upped to move cars along.
- Pennwood HS need Exit Lights & Alarm repairs – FD to monitor repairs.
- Road work needed on Baltimore Ave due to Heavy truck traffic – ruts – Will be forwarded to Infrastructure & PennDOT as action item due to State highway.
- Contacting Bill Neil of Yeadon to see if we can get Corp grant for generator/roof repairs – Mr. Neil in poor health. Get well card to be sent.
- Fire Siren currently being repaired (frequency issues?) – Latest report was that siren was not properly fixed by mnfgr. FD toget bid for lightning rod.
- County Meeting on swine Flu – Info received from County by President Coleman and shared at Public Meeting. Will also be sent out on listserve once set up.
- Price Quotes for Lansdowne Ave lot for Signs. 4 New signs authorized re Parking. Red existing signs to be moved to Highland Lot.
- Cabs on Windemere Ave. – No further problems reported or violations witnessed. Will be forwarded to Codes for further investigation.
- Crossing Guards – Have been instructed to help any person who requests assistance crossing street.
- Neighborhood Watch – Next Community Day event Oct 24th. A List serve will be sent up. Block Captain Training Meeting scheduled for Dec. 4th.
- Traffic Advisory Committee Resolution – tabled.
- Animal Control Issues – stray cats, and wildlife. Recent complaint discussed.
Current system seems adequate. Citizens to be politely directed to animal control
on most issues.
- Road by Belmont Park – effect on police patrol vehicles. To be monitored and discussed further with Infrastricture/
- Fire Hazard Property – 152 Woodland Ave. Forwarded to Codes Dept. Property is in foreclosure.
- Street Light – 269 Essex. Chief to check. List of other non-working lights
gathered and will be forwarded to Infrastructure for major repairs.
- Wabash Ave. – Reports of Criminal activity being monitored. Targeted area for community watch program.
- Public Meeting in Firehouse. Discussed but rejected due to ADA accessibility
- SEPTA Highland lot lease – will check with Borough Manager on term
- Portable Crosswalk sign needs to be repositioned so Fire trucks can make turn into Highland lot.