Public Safety Committee
May 12, 2010
Approval of Minutes
I live at 116 W Stratford Avenue and have noticed Poison Ivy at various locations around the surrounding blocks including my next door neighbor yard. I was walking my dogs along Windermere Avenue last evening and could see the Poison Ivy vines hanging from the hedges right by the side walk.
I’m not sure if this is an environmental issue but it’s a definite threat to the health of my neighbors, their children and pets.
Recently, one of my cousins who lives in Brookhaven came in contact with Poison Ivy and had such a severe case that he needed to be hospitalized.
Not knowing what the our borough codes are regarding Poison Ivy, I’m asking you if there is anything we can do as a community to eradicate this dangerous weed.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Fire Chief/Marshall will be absent, action items addressed at May business mtg.
- Parking meter certification and replacement issues update
- Decoy Cars – Decided not needed
- Traffic Advisory Protocols – Chief to type up based on Swarthmore Ordinance
- Status of proposed Food-based Home-based Ordinance – Being reviewed by Solicitor
- Fire Safety Code/Code Enforcement Joint Session to be scheduled
- Vehicle Pollution related to Pennwood buses – Public announcement made. Outreach to school completed
- Enforcement of 3 strikes Problem Property Ordinance. Discussion of non-applicability to domestic disputes. Use of ordinance not high due to transience of tenants.
- Participation in Night Out Program in August to be connected to Neighborhood Watch Trainings. Mayor to offer water ice incentives to participants from discretionary funds.
- Tenant’s Bill of Rights. Philadelphia Property Manager Ordinance reviewed.
- Manor Lights – Peco repairs. Light reporting process reviewed and status given on repairs.
- Foot Patrol/Bike Patrols – are being deployed personnel and weather permitting.
- Board that Hires Crossing Guards – tabled due to lack of time.
- Street issues on Stratford (Dead End and Ravine). Determination that Chief Kortan to interview property owner to determine course of action.
- Poison Ivy/Overgrowth issues. – Public announcement to be made at next public meeting concerning governing ordinances.
- Recommendations for employee who should be subject to child abuse/criminal background checks.