Finance and Administration Committee
August 2, 2010
Present: : Joe Bartley, Sharon Coleman, Janet English, Ellen Lustgarten, Craig Totaro, Stephen Wagner
Guests: : Charlotte Hummel, Board President, William Penn School District; Joe Otto, Finance Director, William Penn School District
William Penn School District – Building Permit Fees – Ms. Hummel and Mr. Otto presented an outline of plans for the Ardmore Avenue Elementary School Expansion. A discussion was held on the permit fees for this project. Mr. Totaro will provide Ms. Hummel and Mr. Otto estimated Borough costs for the project, ideas for ancillary projects in the community and information from other municipalities experienced in these types of projects. Mr. Otto will provide the Borough a general project timeline.
Senator Williams RACP Grant request – The Committee discussed the HLTC request to provide Senator Williams a letter for support for a theater RACP grant. A motion was made to instruct Mr. Totaro to draft a letter, circulate it to the rest of Council for a vote at the August 18 Council meeting.
Commercial Liability Insurance – Ms. Lustgarten reported that Mr. Totaro had solicited bids for Commercial Liability Insurance and the Borough will retain its current provider at a lower premium rate than is currently being paid.
Police Pension MMO – The Committee reviewed the 2011 actuarial report for the Police Pension Fund. The Committee will recommend to the full Council that the 2011 budget reflect the minimum municipal obligation based upon market value of assets.
Determining Indirect Expense – The Committee reviewed data presented by Mr. Totato regarding the allocation of indirect expenses. Ms. Lustgarten is finalizing the report of total department costs for review by the full Council.
2011 Budget Schedule – The Committee approved the following schedule for the 2011 budget:
- September 1 – Council Business Meeting – Council members’ budget priorities
- October 4 – Finance Committee – Meeting with Police, Codes, Rec and Park
- October 13 – Meeting with Library, Public Works, Fire Dept (day meeting)
- November 1– Finance Committee meeting (with full Council) review of first draft of General Fund, Sewer Fund and Liquid Fuels Fund
- November 3 – Council meeting present budget for 30-day comment period
- December 1 – Council meeting vote to advertise budget and millage
- December 15 – Council meeting to adopt budget
Due to the Labor Day holiday, the Finance Committee will hold its next meeting on Monday, October 4th
The Committee adjourned to Executive Session to discuss a litigation issue.