October 8, 2009
In attendance: Barbara Silzle, Ellen Lustgarten, Craig Totaro, Betsy Riffert
- The State Recycling report completed by Betsy was reviewed. 139 more tons of recycling were collected in 2008 than 2007; 32 tons were residential .
- Betsy will send questionnaire to borough Churches to determine what they recycle and what services they would like to have. The committee will then review their requests to see if/how the borough may provide recycling.
- The Blue Mountain contract expires the end of this year; they are proposing a 3-yr contract. The factory is outfitted but is not yet processing plastics beyond #1 and #2. Craig will send a letter to Shannon at Blue Mountain telling them Lansdowne is interested in expanding the plastics program. The committee recommends negotiating the 100% below $70 price point. The proposal will go to the Finance Committee and then to council for approval.
- Barbara will contact the Education/Recreation Cmte to request an agenda item at the meeting when that committee is meeting with the school district. At least 2 recycling containers are needed; the borough crew would pick up.
- The Committee would like the borough to produce an Environmental Program flyer for distribution to residences where the borough picks up trash (ie, pays trash fees). Barbara provided a sample from Upper Providence and will provide Betsy with the info sheet she created and distributes. Betsy will obtain pricing info.
- Yard Waste and Recycling are not taxed by the County; diverting to those borough program can reduce those fees.
- Betsy confirmed there is no way to estimate tonnage to determine if participation is increasing.
- The borough’s collection schedule isn’t such that we can utilize the DCSWA compost farm
- ICLEI Data: All the data has been entered. Craig will check to see if it can be uploaded and what to do next.
- Make Lansdowne Beautiful Day: In April 2010 in conjunction with Earth Day. Time will be allocated at the next committee meeting to work out the program and outreach. Ellen will bring it up at an LEDC mtg.