December 8, 2009
Committee members: Barbara Silzle, Ellen Lustgarten. Absent Joe Urban
Borough Staff: Craig Totaro, Borough Manager; Betsy Riffert, Asst to Borough Mgr
- DEP Recycling Grant: $5495 left to expend by 6/30/10.
- The committee worked with staff to select 5 side-by-side trash and recycling bins to put throughout the borough. The cost will be less than what’s remaining in budget line for 2009.
- Betsy will take an inventory of trash cans throughout the borough to identify type and condition so they might be replaced or spruced up. Possibly painted by school children.
- Houses of Worship. The mayor will be asked to follow up with the Lutheran Church that inquired about the borough providing recycling, to ask about the volume they might generate, before the committee takes up the issue further.
- Business Recycling.
- With input from Pat Arone of the LBPA, the committee decided not to put an Abitibi paper recycling container in the Highland Avenue parking lot. The purpose was to increase recycling of borough businesses.
- The committee decided to develop a survey for the businesses to learn about their recycling practices, identify barriers and ideas for increasing their recycling. Businesses are required by state and borough law to recycle. The LBPA is willing to distribute the survey to members.
Borough Energy provider. The borough manager will obtain an estimate for the purchase of electricity from an energy company that has done some consortium purchases through the PA League of Municipalities. The Borough Manager will inquire at the next council meeting if the borough has to put a bid out for energy contracts.
Earth Day “Make Lansdowne Beautiful Day” event
- The Committee decided to have this event on Saturday, April 17, in celebration of Earth Day’s 40th Anniversary on April 22nd. It will occur the weekend before the Darby Creek Cleanup Day (April 24) and before the town-wide Yard Sale (May 8)
- Focus will be on the central business district this first year; will have a plan to expand out depending on #s of volunteers
- Volunteers will be recruited from community groups, businesses and residents.
- Pick up trash and recycling
- Save the Date info will go out via various mechanisms.
- Logistics will be worked out with borough staff
- Storm Water Management and the MS4 reporting requirements were discussed.
- SWANA Recycling Technical Assistance grant. In process of collecting data.
- Recreation & Parks Bd appointments. 3 terms expire 12/31/09: Bartmann, Kelly, Verdenden.
- All borough board members are now sent letters from the borough to inquire about interest in renewing their term. Kelly responded interested in renewing term; Verlenden resigned earlier due to other activities; waiting to hear from Bartmann. A few residents have indicated interest.
- Multi-municipal composting. Nothing new to report.
Blue Mountain recycling contract renewal. Still working out contract; perhaps 18 months do all plastics. An alternative vendor has been identified and Craig will obtain a bid.