How May We Help You?  |  Citizen Action Forms  |  Contact Us  |  Sign up for E-newsletter
The Borough of Lansdowne Pennsylvania The Borough of Lansdowne Pennsylvania

Codebook, ordinances, zoning

Lansdowne Codebook

Zoning Map

Borough of Lansdowne Ordinances

Listed below are some of the Borough Ordinances that are most pertinent to the average resident. They are summarized for your quick reference.

Jump to: Animal Control, Burning, Garbage, Parking, Soliciting, Building and Zoning, Property Numbers, Signs, Snow & Ice, Trees, Shrubs, Grass and Weeds, Block Parties, Curfew Law

Animal Control/Animal Ordinances

Pets are prohibited from all Borough parks, recreation areas and Borough owned open space areas except when kept on a leash not exceeding six (6) feet in length. Owners are to remove all feces deposited by their pet and dispose of it in a sanitary manner. Maintaining dogs which bark so as to disturb the peace shall constitute a nuisance and be declared to be unlawful and prohibited. Fines will be levied on those who are in violation of these ordinances. Dogs and cats are not permitted to run at large in the Borough. There is an ordinance making dog and cat owners responsible to prevent animal waste deposits on private or public property and to control excessive barking. Animal Control is handles by our Police Department at (610) 623-0700 and Animal Control at (610) 522-1113.

It shall be unlawful for the owner of any cat or dog to permit it to run at large, to cause annoyance to persons or damage to persons or property, to trespass upon, litter or deface any premises, pavement, public highway or park in the borough. Failure of any such owner properly to curb and restrain his/her cat or dog shall subject the owner to penalties.


Open burning in the Borough is prohibited by enforcement of the Pennsylvania Air Pollution Control Act.

Garbage, Refuse and Discarded Matter

The practice of throwing or dumping any discarded matter of any kind in or on any private or public property, vacant or occupied within the Borough of Lansdowne is prohibited. The practice of storing or depositing abandoned or junked vehicles, machinery, etc., in or on any public or private property, vacant or occupied is prohibited. The use or ownership of any unsafe or dangerous building or structure upon any public or private property, vacant or occupied, is prohibited. Driving or permitting the use of a motor vehicle that deposits its contents or other debris on any road within the Borough of Lansdowne is prohibited.

Rental Properties

If you are a landlord in the Borough, your property must be registered and inspected annually. Click HERE.


There is no overnight parking on the streets in the Borough from 2:00-6:00 a.m. except by permit from the Police Department, (610) 623-0700. If an emergency occurs where you must park in the street overnight, please call overnight parking at (610) 623-7677. Provide the vehicle make and license plate number available when you call.

Overnight Parking Information

Peddling and Soliciting

A license is required in the Borough of Lansdowne for the selling or offering for sale of any goods, merchandise or services with some exceptions. Application must be made to the Borough of Lansdowne Police Department.

Building and Zoning

Lansdowne Borough has zoning and building ordinances intended to protectthe values of properties in the Borough, to assure public safety, and to assure the quality of life in the community. The following is a summary of the permit requirements under these ordinances.

Zoning Permits

When a property is sold, substantially altered, or the use of the property is changed it is necessary to apply for a Zoning Permit. The application for a Zoning Permit may be secured at Borough Hall. The Zoning Officer will make a determination as to whether the use complies with zoning law and then approve or deny the application. If it is denied, an application may be made to the Zoning Hearing Board to grant the appropriate variances. The application for a hearing before the Zoning Hearing Board is also available at Borough Hall. For additional information call (610) 623-7300.

Building Permits

Building Permit & Contractor Registration

Now available on website in downloadable PDF format. Permits are required for a variety of building activities. Permits are required for, but not limited to, the following:

  • Construction of a new building
  • Moving, relocating or demolition of an existing building
  • Structural alterations or repairs to an existing building
  • Additions to existing buildings
  • The installation of: fences, sheds, swimming pool, patios, decks, parking lots, driveways, sidewalks, curbing, siding, soffit, replacement windows, gutters, downspouts
  • Plumbing fixtures, hot water tanks, boilers and HVAC units installed or replaced
  • Signs (see special section on signs)
  • Temporary structures
  • Street excavation
  • Demolition, installation or repair of roofs

Applications for these permits are available at the Borough Hall, Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Most of these permits require a fee. The Code Enforcement Officers do not have set office hours. For an appointment or more information concerning permits call (610) 623-7300 ext 210. Building permit applications, depending on the project, may require considerable information and drawings. At the very least, the application will require the following:

  • A written description of the proposed project and a construction drawing
  • The type of occupancy (the present or proposed use)
  • The type of services involved (e.g., heat, electric, sewer, water)
  • The names, addresses and telephone number of the owner, contractor and/or authorized agent

Electrical Permits

Electrical Permits are available at Borough Hall and are required for all electrical work such as the installation of new circuits, panels or connections to the main panel. Some typical electrical repairs such as the replacement of a receptacle do not require a permit. For clarification, call Borough Hall, (610) 623-7300 ext 210.

Plumbing Permits

Plumbing permits must be secured for work such as the installation of new fixtures, new toilets, tubs or showers, installation of water heaters, boiler, or HVAC unit installation or replacement. For permit application, call Borough Hall, (610) 623-7300 ext 210.

Who May Apply for Permits

  • Zoning permits may be applied for by the owner or tenant of a property holding a lease
  • Building permits may be applied for by the owner, contractor, or authorized agent of the owner. The contractor is preferred for any major project (i.e., new residence, addition).
  • Plumbing permits must be applied for by a master plumber licensed by Lansdowne Borough.
  • Electrical permits must be applied for by a certified master electrician licensed by Lansdowne Borough

Property Numbers Required

Borough Ordinance requires the posting of property address numbers on ALL residential, commercial, and industrial buildings.

  1. Residential numbers must be a minimum of four (4) inches high
  2. Industrial and commercial building numbers must be a minimum of six (6) inches high
  3. Apartment and condo building letters must be a minimum of ten (10) inches high
  4. ALL numbers must be on a contrasting background and visible from the street


A permit must be obtained from the Code Enforcement Officer before installing a sign. There are some exceptions, including Garage Sale signs. To determine if a permit is required it is recommended that you contact the Code Enforcement Officer at (610) 623-7300 ext 210.

Snow and Ice Control

A snow emergency shall be in effect during any period in whichsnow plows or snow removal equipment shall be operating within the Borough of Lansdowne. During this period no vehicles shall be parked on any streets designated as Snow Emergency Routes. Any vehicle which becomes stalled or left unattended may be removed or towed away at the owners’ expense. Sidewalks shall be cleared no later than twenty-four (24) hours after snow or sleet has ceased to fall. In the case of snow, a pathway, not less than twenty-four (24) inches in width shall be thoroughly cleared and ice shall be covered with cinders, sawdust or similar show and ice control materials. Where snow and ice are removed from the pathway, it may be placed or piled on the curb of the sidewalk, but it shall not be placed in the road.

Trees, Shrubs, Grass and Weeds

All trees and shrubs adjoining sidewalks or in the line of sight at intersections must be kept trimmed to the full width of the sidewalk so as not to obstruct the vision of motorists at the intersection. Grass and/or weeds must be kept cut to a height no greater than six (6) inches. Trees or shrubs overhanging a sidewalk must be trimmed to a height of eight (8) feet. No obstruction (e.g. posts) trees or plants other than grass may be placed in the strip between the sidewalk and the street. Trees in the strip between the sidewalk and the street that predate the tree ordinance may remain, but when they die or are removed, they cannot be replaced. The only exception to this regulation will be designated streetscape areas in the business districts. For clarification on these ordinances, call Borough Hall (610) 623-7300 ext 210.

Block Parties

To have a block of a street closed for a block party the following must take place:

  • Secure the signature of all of the residents on the block that
    will be closed off giving their consent to the closing
  • Write a letter with the specific date and times (start and finish)
    you wish to close the street
  • Submit the letter and signatures to the Police or to the Borough Office at least two (2) weeks prior to the event.

Note that it is not possible to close off state highways for this purpose, and it is often impossible to close off streets containing SEPTA routes. For more information, call Borough Hall at (610) 623-7300.

Lansdowne Borough Curfew Law

Curfew for ages 17-18 is 10 p.m. weekdays, 12 midnight on Friday, Saturday and major Holidays*. Curfew for ages 16 and under is 10 p.m. weekdays, 11 p.m. on Friday, Saturday and major Holidays*.

*Major holidays: New Years Eve and Day, Easter, Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day, Yom Kippur, Columbus Day, Veterans Day, Thankgiving and Christmas.

Parents/guardians will be held responsible for any minors in their care who do not abide by the curfew law. Those violating the curfew will be taken to the police station and a written notice of the violation will be given to the parent/guardian when they arrive to have their child released.

Second offenders will be declared guilty of violating the law and fined up to $600 plus costs of prosecution. Any default in payment will result in imprisonment for up to 30 days.


Classic Towns
No Place for Hate
Storm Water
Borough Pics