Parks and Recreation Board
Regular Meeting Minutes
September 20, 2010
The meeting began at 7:00 p.m. at Borough Hall. Present were Sherry Spinnraker, Mike Mills, Dawn Haussler, Jack Kelly, Khalil Shearlds, Jeannette Reinhart, Kathryn Baranackie, and Eugene Dixon. Also present: Erica Sollberger, Director of Parks and Recreation, and Bill Johnson, Lansdowne Public Works Department.
2. Minutes from August – August 2010 Meeting Minutes approved pending change noted by Ms. Reinhart to #6.2.3.
3. Borough Council Business
- 3.1 Recreation Director – Ms. Spinnraker introduced Ms. Erica Sollberger as the new Director of Parks and Recreation.
4. Recreation and Park Budget Review
- 4.1 2010 Remaining budget allocation –
- 4.1.1 Reservoir Park entrance repair – Borough has filled in the deep ruts with river rock. It was mentioned that the stone is very large and could be dangerous for foot traffic.
- Action item: Ms. Sollberger noted that she would look into pricing for 50-100 feet of railing.
- 4.1.2 Sycamore Park fence repair/replacement
- 4.1.3 Hoffman/Interboro bleachers – Action item: Ms. Spinnraker to follow up with LBGC re: offer of refurbishing bleachers if Borough provides materials and to check and see whether insurance is an issue. Ms. Sollberger and Mr. Johnson to look at bleachers and offer suggestions.
- 4.1.4 Surveys for all parks.
- 4.2 Court resurfacing – Court resurfacing for Hays and Interboro has been completed, but the white court boundary lines still need to be painted, which is weather dependent.
- 4.3 2011 Budget – Action item: Ms. Spinnraker and Ms. Sollberger to request clarification from Borough Manager about Board’s role in determining use of budget.
- 4.4 Tree maintenance budget for 2011 – Action item: Mr. Kelly to ask Tree Advisory Board for list of ‘dangerous trees’ in all parks/green spaces that may need work/removal immediately or in 2011.
5. Community Business
- 5.1 Marlyn Park tree removal – The second tree that was partially cut down is still standing. Ms. Reinhart asked whether it would be completely removed.
- Action item: Ms. Sollberger to take a look at the partially downed tree to determine whether it should be completely removed. .
- 5.2 Complaint from Hoffman Park permit holder – Ms. Solberger reported that she had received a complaint from a permit holder for an event during Labor Day weekend. The person complained that other people were using the pavilion at Hoffman Park while it was reserved. Currently there are no clear guidelines, but permit holders can show their permit, and if people are unwilling to leave a park space that has been reserved, the permit holder can call the police for assistance. The Board discussed possible solutions:
- 5.2.1 Posting permit information on Borough website
- 5.2.2 Erecting a posting box in each park where permits can be displayed for all to see.
- 5.3 Firearms policy – Council is looking into whether it is against state law to post signs prohibiting firearms in the parks.
6. Special Project Reports 2010 – One-Time or Reoccurring
- 6.1 Meeting with Borough Manager – Ms. Spinnraker met with Mr. Totaro:
- 6.1.1 Belmont tree – The tree that fell was removed from Belmont with insurance funds.
- 6.1.2 Grant for lighting – The replacement of existing traffic and street lights with LED lights will begin this fall. The replacement is being funded through a grant submitted by Mr. Totaro.
- 6.1.3 Marlyn Park sitting wall – The 42” cinder block sitting wall will be built at the end of the street to the left of the Marlyn Park entrance either this fall or early next spring.
- 6.1.4 Reservoir Park improvements – The improvements to the stream bed are currently in the permitting phase with the County.
- 6.2 Park usage – policy revision – Action item: Ms. Spinnraker to forward template to Ms. Sollberger.
- 6.3 Park permit policy – tabled
- 6.4 Hoffman Park tennis courts – Last year Ms. Staiber noted that we had purchased crack filler for the tennis courts. Mr. Johnson noted that if the crack filler can be found, the work can be performed in-house.
- Action item: Ms. Sollberger to check with Finance to see whether the crack filler was purchased last year.
- 6.5 Survey results – tabled
- 6.6 Recycling cans – Trash and recyclables are being mixed in the recycling cans. It was suggested that we pair the trash cans with the recycling cans in close proximity so that there will be less confusion.
- Action item: Ms. Spinnraker to research recycling decals for recycling cans.
- 6.7 Hoffman Park site plan grant – Ms. Spinnraker noted that the LBGC is submitting the grant for funding for a site plan for Hoffman Park. If larger grant funding is not obtained, a temporary structure with bathroom and snack stand may have to be built.
- 6.8 2011 calendar – Action item: Ms. Spinnraker to forward 2011 calendar for review.
7. Recreation Department Park Management
- 7.1 Hoffman Park issues – Ms. Baranakie reported on several Hoffman Park-related issues:
- 7.1.1 Seeding around benches – Ms. Baranakie asked whether the current contract for seeding covered the bare areas around the benches. It does not, it only covers the playing fields.
- 7.1.2 Barbequing in the park – Ms. Baranakie noted that she had seen used briquettes dumped around the pavilion and asked whether it was a permitting issue. Currently use of portable barbeques is not covered under permit policy.
- 7.1.3 Cylinder play structure mural project – Ms. Baranakie noted that she had e-mailed the school district to request a contact for the mural project.
- 7.1.4 Removal of graffiti before Park Day – Ms. Baranakie requested that the graffiti on the pavilion be removed before Park Day. Mr. Johnson said that he would look into it.
- 7.2 Goals/Priorities for next 3-5 years – tabled
- 7.3 ADA compliance – tabled
- 7.4 Event assessments – tabled
- 7.5 Event improvements – Mr. Shearlds noted that it might be a good idea to add some event like a skit, story reading, or games to the Egg Hunt to extend the length of the event.
- 7.6 Interboro, Belmont site plans – tabled
- 7.7 Document management – Ms. Reinhart requested a copy of the Interboro Sketch Plan and noted that it is difficult for new Board members to review or gain knowledge of past events or issues when documents have not been distributed. The Board discussed possibility of obtaining an on-line repository where all Board members could review or obtain records, instead of having to rely on one or two members to produce paper documents each time a new Board member joins. Ms. Sollberger offered to start gathering the documents as an interim solution.
- Action item: Ms. Spinnraker and Ms. Haussler to work on forwarding documents to Ms. Sollberger for retention.
8. Task List – no updates at this time
9. Calendar of Events
- 9.1 Park Day – September 25, 1-4pm. New additions: Cotton candy as incentive to fill out surveys, and magician.
- 9.2 Tree Planting – November 20. Bare root trees to be planted along East Lansdowne portion of Baltimore Pike.
10. Next Board Meeting – Monday, October 18, 7:00 p.m. at Borough Hall.