Parks and Recreation Board
Regular Meeting Minutes
March 15, 2010
The meeting began at 7:05 p.m. at Borough Hall. Present were, Mike Mills (chaired meeting), Dawn Haussler, Khalil Shearlds, and Jeannette Reinhart, Jack Kelly, Jim Simons, and Kathryn Baranackie. Also present: Barb Silzle, Lansdowne Borough Council Environmental Committee and Bill Johnson, Public Works. Visitors: Bob Bartmann.
- 1.1 Kathryn Baranackie and Jim Simon were introduced as new Board members.
2. Minutes from February were approved.
3. Borough Council Business
- 3.1 Finance information – Barb Silzle requested rescheduling of discussion of finance information so that Sherry Spinnraker and Jeri Staiber could be present.
- 3.2 Environmental Committee oversight – Environmental Committee is to oversee the Recreation and Parks Board. Board meetings have been reconfigured so that Barb can work with the Board for the first hour of each meeting. Intent is to assist Board in moving through projects more quickly.
- 3.3 Environmental Committee activities –
- 3.3.1 ‘Keep Lansdowne Beautiful Day’ (April 17) – Clean-up of downtown area with neighbors and business owners.
- 3.3.2 Recycling – Increased efforts to encourage more recycling to reduce transmission fees:
- a. Increased recycling by businesses
- b. Increased recycling by apartment complexes
- c. Acquisition of ‘all-in-one’ recycling/trash receptacles for downtown area
- d. Possible repainting of old downtown area cans for recycling in parks
4. Recreation and Park Budget Review
- 4.1 Review of 2010 budget – To be discussed at next meeting. Use of budget funds ($43,000) to be determined by fixed expenses and projects already undertaken.
5. Recreation Director Report, Jeri Staiber
- 5.1 Correspondence / community concerns
- 5.1.1 LBGC shed request at Hoffman Park – no update at this time
- 5.2 Park usage requests – none at this time
6. Special Project Reports 2010 – One-time or Reoccurring
- 6.1 Parks permit policy – Tabled until next meeting.
- 6.2 Park Oversight – each Board member’s assigned park:
- 6.2.1 Hoffman Park – Kathryn Beranackie
- 6.2.2 Sycamore Park – Dawn Haussler
- 6.2.3 Reservoir Park – Jack Kelly
- 6.2.4 Interboro Park – Mike Mills
- 6.2.5 Belmont Park – Jeannette Reinhart
- 6.2.6 Marlyn Park – Khalil Shearlds
- 6.2.7 Hays Park – Jim Simons
7. Recreation Department Park Management
- 7.1 Discuss goals – Main focus for next 3-5 years (tabled for next meeting).
- 7.2 ADA compliance for our parks – Review Multiple Municipalities Plan (tabled for next meeting).
- 7.3 Event assessments – Paper and electronic (to be addressed at future meeting).
- 7.4 Interboro sketch plan – Review for commentary and possible adoption (future meeting).
- 7.5 Belmont sketch plan – Review for commentary and possible adoption (future meeting).
- 7.6 Marlyn Park Master Site Plan – Steering committee to meet at end of February to determine what is to be presented to Council. Presentation to Council to occur April 7th. Neighbor comments to be incorporated, including: bridge over Avery Run to other side of park, easements addressed (conservation easement on neighbors’ sides, recreation easements on park side).
- 7.7 J. Downend Landscaping contracts for Sycamore and Hoffman Parks – Board discussed maintenance of Sycamore Park with Bill Johnson. All agreed that the borough workers could use Sycamore Park as a training ground for fertilization, weed control, and overseeding. Board approved J. Downend’s 2010 Fertilization contract for Hoffman Park as that park has so much heavy use.
8. Task List – no updates at this time
9. Calendar of Events
- 9.1 Egg Hunt – March 28 at 1 pm.
- 9.2 Tree planting at Reservoir Park – April 11
- 9.3 ‘Make Lansdowne Beautiful Day’ – April 17, 9:30am to 1pm – Borough-wide clean-up day centered on downtown area.
- 9.4 Darby Creek Clean-up – April 24
- 9.4.1 Pennock Woods – Jack Kelly noted that the clean-up would be from 10:00am – 2pm
- 9.4.2 Hoffman Park – volunteers to meet at Bonnies’ Wonder Garden shop
- 9.5 Movie Night – May 22
- 9.5.1 Movie choice – ‘Up’ is chosen movie. (sunset: 8:14pm, twilight: 8:46pm)
- 9.5.2 Chairs – Dawn and Jeannette
- 9.5.3 Snack stand – Boys & Girls’ club confirmed for snack stand use and microwaved popcorn will be offered.
- 9.5.4 Advertising – Council announcement at televised meeting, posting on website, fliers to schools, borough newsletter
- 9.5.5 Banner – Action item: Dawn to work with Hoff Communications
10. Next Board Meeting – Monday, April 19, 7:00 p.m. at Borough Hall.