Parks and Recreation Board
Regular Meeting Minutes
June 21, 2010
The meeting began at 7:00 p.m. at Twentieth Century Club. Present were Sherry Spinnraker, Mike Mills, Dawn Haussler, Khalil Shearlds, and Jeannette Reinhart, Jack Kelly, Jim Simmons, and Kathryn Baranackie. Also present: Barb Silzle, Lansdowne Borough Council Environmental Committee, Jeri Staiber, Recreation Director, and Sam, Bob Bartmann’s summer intern.
2. Minutes from May: to be reviewed and approved at next month’s meeting.
3. Borough Council Business
- 3.1 Gladstone Island Long-Range Sketch Plan – Donated benches have been placed and Giant plaques will be removed and replaced with better looking plaques. Environmental Committee is reviewing the long-range sketch plan. The plan needs to be altered to account for requested changes to ADA access ramps.
- 3.2 Park priorities – Ms. Silzle stated that the Board should prioritize its goals for all parks for Council so grant funds can be allocated when available.
- 3.3 New Board member – New Recreation and Parks Board member to be approved in Council’s July business meeting.
- 3.4 Job description for Jeri Staiber’s replacement – Was reviewed by Council and is now posted on borough website.
- 3.5 Council’s appreciation – Council is slated to thank Jeri Staiber for her service to the Borough in the September Council meeting.
- 3.6 Police rounds – Ms. Reinhart asked about the frequency of officer’s rounds covering parks during peak summer season.
- Action item: Ms. Silzle to speak to Chief of Police for info.
- 3. 7 Recycling cans in parks –
- Action item: Ms. Silzle noted that she would encourage recycling in the parks at the televised Council meetings.
4. Recreation and Park Budget Review
- 4.1 Funds used to date – To date, approximately $10,000 has been used.
- 4.2 Court resurfacing – We are waiting to hear what the individual bids will be for each court as each court requires different treatments. Hays’ court’s new coating, which was applied last year, is already wearing out, but contractor has stated he will recoat.
- 4.3 Bob Bartmann’s summer budget – Mr. Bartmann requested $5,000 for tools and materials while he has his intern available for work this summer. Approximately $2,500 was approved. The purchase of a chainsaw was also approved by the Board.
5. Recreation and Parks Director Business
- 5.1 Correspondence / Community Concerns – Permit issue with ‘Step by Step’ daycare near Belmont Park.
- Action item: Ms. Spinnraker to coordinate with Craig Totaro to come up with the next step in this situation.
- 5.2 Recycling containers – 6 cans have been ordered to be painted blue for recycling in parks.
6. Special Project Reports 2010 – One-Time or Reoccurring
- 6.1 Park usage – policy revision – tabled
- 6.2 Park permit policy – Ms. Baranackie and Ms. Reinhart handed out and reviewed the compiled permit data.
- 6.3 Consequences for littering in parks – Board discussed possible removal of basketball hoops, but general consensus was that this would be a last-resort measure. Increased police activity and more trash and recycling containers were discussed. Recycling containers will be placed and additional trash cans are being considered around courts.
- 6.4 Signage at parks – Mr. Mills requested another sign for the other side of Interboro Park.
- 6.5 Survey results – Mr. Simmons volunteered to compile and summarize the survey results thus far.
- Action item: Mr. Simmons to summarize survey results.
- 6.6 Marlyn Park review – tabled so that Board can review final plan.
- 6.7 Hoffman Park pavilion – tabled
- 6.8 Test meadow sites update –
- Action item: Ms. Spinnraker to ask Bob Bartmann for updates on the test meadow sites.
- 6.9 West Nile Virus – West Nile Virus has been found in mosquitoes in Lansdowne.
- Action item: Ms. Spinnraker to ask County about policy on spraying, posting signs.
- 6.10 Park Day 2010 – Chairs of event are Mr. Mills, Mr. Kelly, and Ms. Reinhart. There will be no movie, just Park Day.
- 6.10.1 Possible attractions/events: Green Bean the Clown (face painter), pony rides, moon bounce, dunk tank, clown/magician, cotton candy, games, snack stand (LBGC).
7. Recreation Department Park Management
- 7.1 Goals/Priorities for next 3-5 years –
- Action item: Board members to provide Ms. Haussler with list of goals/priorities for Board.
- 7.2 Sycamore Park sitting wall repair – Ms. Spinnraker reported that the sitting wall has been repaired.
- 7.3 Marlyn Park bollards – Board has discussed the safety issue of the parking area/street ending above the stream to the left the park’s entrance. Some type of barrier would be a good idea, as well as repair/replacement of the fencing that is loose.
- Action item: Ms. Spinnraker to discuss possible solutions with Craig Totaro.
- 7.4 Interboro sketch plan – Review for commentary and possible adoption (future meeting).
- 7.5 Belmont sketch plan – Review for commentary and possible adoption (future meeting).
- 7.6 Trash and recycling cans at Pennock Woods – The County has offered to provide a trash can at Pennock Woods. The Borough will collect the trash.
- Action item: Ms. Spinnraker to ask about placement of a recycling can there as well.
- 7.7 Hoffman Park play structure painting – It was suggested that the sewer pipe play structure could use painting and that a artistic mural could be a way to involve kids in the park. Board agreed that ‘Your Park’ would be the theme of the project.
- Action item: Ms. Baranakie to draw up project guidelines for review by Board and Council.
8. Task List – no updates at this time
9. Calendar of Events
- 9.1 Park Day – September 25
10. Next Board Meeting – Monday, July 19, 7:00 p.m. at Borough Hall.