Parks and Recreation Board
Regular Meeting Minutes
December 14, 2009
The meeting began at 7:10 p.m. at The Twentieth Century Club. Present were Sherry Spinnraker, Mike Mills, Dawn Haussler, Bob Bartmann, Khalil Shearlds, Jeannette Reinhart, and Jack Kelly. Also present were Joe Urban, Borough Council liaison, and Jeri Staiber, Recreation Director.
On completion of Board business, members enjoyed the annual holiday gathering and presented Fred Mirarchi with a gift in appreciation of his years of service on the Board.
2. Minutes from November were accepted.
3. Task List
- 3.1 Update – Action Item: Dawn/Mike to update task list before next meeting and distribute.
4. Borough Council Report
- 4.1 Joe commented on the new Council change in procedure for Board member continuation. He agreed that requiring another copy of a continuing Board member’s resume and new statement of intent is superfluous. A simple acceptance via e-mail should suffice for notification of a current Board member’s intention to stay on for another 3 year term.
- 4.2 Joe noted that the Education & Recreation Committee on Borough Council will be phased out and that a new Community Relations Committee will be formed. Janet English will be the head of the Community Relations Committee.
- 4.3 As Joe is the Borough’s new Tax Collector, he mentioned that the Board would know who the new Council liaison would be as of January 4th.
- 4.4 The 2010 budget has been passed, but we still do not know the Recreation & Parks budget. Should know budget for January meeting.
5. Recreation and Park Budget Review
2010 Budget – Budget approved. Board should know budget number for January meeting.
Reservoir Park – the funds from 2009 have been dedicated to the renovation project and the project is ongoing.
Basket ball court and tennis court resurfacing
- Competitive pricing for court resurfacing – Bob recommended that we obtain bids for the remaining court resurfacing jobs and schedule resurfacing for early spring and contractors are lining up work for their season. May be able to get reduced price for all courts grouped together.
Tree maintenance – Jeri noted that Craig Totaro had confirmed that the remaining $6,000 that is left in the 2009 Tree Maintenance line item is still available to be used for that purpose, but that a separate $10,000 Tree Maintenance line item may not be available within the 2010 budget.
6. Correspondence / Community Concerns
It was noted that the Board has lost its contact with the Lansdowne Boys & Girl’s Club as Fred Mirarchi is no longer on the Board. Jack mentioned that he might be able to recommend someone.
7. Special Project Reports 2009 – One-time or Reoccurring
No special project reports at this time.
8. Recreation Department Park Management
Nominations/Elections – Bob motioned that the current officers be elected by acclimation. The motion was seconded and approved. Sherry Spinnraker remains Chairwoman, Mike Mills remains Vice Chair, and Dawn Haussler remains Secretary.
Parks permit policy – Current policy is for the permit request to be submitted in writing, be reviewed and approved by the Board, permit issued and given to requestor to have on site during the event.
- Board discussed posting approved permits on website, but that raised privacy issues.
- The question was also raised about whether certain parks should be used for certain events.
- Park Use Guidelines – Permits – Bob Bartmann distributed the document he had compiled for park use/permits.
Raising Funds – Various ideas were discussed regarding raising additional capital for larger park projects, such as the Hoffman Park pavilion. $400,000 was the original budget for the pavilion in 2005/2006. The Board had saved $30,000, rolling excess funds from one year to the next for use on the pavilion, but the funds were taken away.
- Council approval for roll-over funds for specific projects – If the Board wishes to try and save funds for larger projects from one year to the next, approval should be obtained and documented repeatedly in the meeting minutes, so funds remain allocated clearly for that approved project.
- Apply for grants – (William Penn Foundation)
- Recovery Act funding – Jeannette asked whether the Borough had applied for any Recovery Act funds. Joe Urban stated that we had applied for purposes of switching out the lights around the Borough to improve energy efficiency ($420,000).
- Commercial funding – Approach banks/corporations for sponsorship for park projects.
- Educational purposes – Utilize educational aspect to apply for funding (ie: ‘green’ technology, such as composting toilets, etc.)
- Local support – Enlist local schools and groups that use Hoffman (Boys & Girl’s Club) for support for projects for parks that they use most (ie: fund raising for pavilion for Hoffman Park)
Calendar of Events
Recreation and Parks Board Budget Report, Jeri Staiber
None at this time.
Park Usage Request
None at this time.
Next Board Meeting – Monday, January 11, 7:00 p.m. at Borough Hall.