Parks and Recreation Board
August 17, 2009
The meeting began at 7:05 p.m. at Borough Hall. Present were Mike Mills (acting as Chair), Don Verlenden, Dawn Haussler, Bob Bartmann, Barry Malone, Khalil Shearlds, and Jack Kelly. Also present: Jeri Staiber, Lansdowne’s Recreation Director, and Michael Schleigh, Borough Council liaison standing in for Joe Urban.
2. Minutes from July were accepted, (on condition of Board-accepted change to 4.2)
3. Task List (focused on Park Day/Movie Night, to be held on September 26th starting at 3pm: updated tasks as of this printing) Movie will be ‘Bolt.’ Jack and Khalil are co-chairs of the event.
- 3.1 Kid’s games and prizes – (including ‘hot potato’, dodgeball, etc.) Action item: Khalil
- 3.2 Face Painter – Action item: Joe was unable to locate face painter we used last year. Green Bean the Clown will cover face painting. (see 3.8, below)
- 3.3 DJ – Action item: Khalil found DJ for $250 for 3 hrs. DJ will be instructed to play age-appropriate music.
- 3.4 Moonbounce – Action item: Jack. Jeri reserved moonbounce from Boing!Bounce and they will deliver it an hour before we start, and will pick it up (2 – 6pm).
- 3.5 Food – Action item: Jeri. Fred Mararchi / Boys & Girls Club have agreed to obtain the food and run the snack stand for us. Spreadsheet of what we used last year was sent to Fred. Park & Rec board members will assist as needed.
- 3.6 Popcorn machine – Action item: Dawn. Steve Wagner / Sofa Cinema will lend us popcorn maker. All proceeds to go to Sofa Cinema. Park & Rec board members to staff machine.
- 3.7 Pony rides – Action item: Barry/Don. No go.
- 3.8 Clown/balloon animal maker – Action item: Barry. Green Bean the Clown has been reserved for 2 hrs for face painting, balloon animal making, clowning (3:30 – 5:30pm) @ $300.
- 3.9 Magician – ruled out as it seemed to conflict with Green Bean the Clown and the games.
- 3.10 Lansdowne fire truck visit – Action item: Jeri. No go.
- 3.11 Bob Bartmann’s parks exhibit – Action item: Bob/Dawn. If Bob is available on Parks Day, Dawn and Bob will set the exhibit up the morning of the event.
- 3.12 Movie license – Action item: Jeri. Borough paid for license.
- 3.13 Confirm movie date/details with movie vendor – Action item: Joe/Jeri. Will be no showing in 20th Century Club if it rains the day of. Vendor allows a rain date within six months (would need to be shown in early spring 2010).
- 3.14 Banner – Action item: Dawn. Banner complete and hung at corner of Baltimore Pk, and Scottdale Rd.
- 3.15 Advertising – Action item: Barry/Sherry/Jeri. Barry and Sherry updated the flier. Jeri will distribute flier and has posted event info in local papers: Daily Times, News of Del. County, Haverford Press, Upper Darby Press, Drexel Hill Press, Journal & Town Talk
- The Weekend section of the Phila Inquirer
- 3.16 Volunteers – Jack asked Tree Committee, Mike’s wife will be helping the day of. Joe Urban may provide volunteers as well.
- 3.17 Movie rental/buying – Fred Mirarchi may lend his copy.
4. Borough Council Report, Michael Schleigh standing in for Joe Urban
No report at this time.
5. Recreation and Park Budget Review (approx. $30,000 left to use)
- 5.1 Reservoir Park Master Site Plan – Bob presented the Master Site Plan he had created for Reservoir Park to Borough Council on September 2nd. Borough Council approved moving forward with Phase A, or the repair to the stone wall that has been undercut, as well as placement of large boulders to reduce the flow of water during storms. Council agreed that the rest of the Reservoir Park Master Site Plan should be presented to the community for response and input before any further action is taken. Bob estimates that Phase A will cost approximately $25,000 and Borough Council is aware that we would like the funds for this project to come from our 2009 budget.
- 5.2 Other uses of 2009 funds –
- 5.2.1 Park equipment – buy and keep inventory of necessary playground items, such as basketball nets, rims, baby seats for swings (approx. $1,000) Action item: Jeri
- 5.2.2 Belmont Park, 3 spring toys – (approx. $500 ea.) Action item: Dawn
- 5.2.3 All parks, sealcoat courts and repaint basketball lines – Action item: Jeri to obtain pricing.
- 5.2.4 Hoffman Park, tennis courts – fill cracks in courts before winter. Paint walls. Action item: Jeri to ask maintenance whether they can repair with crack sealer.
- 5.3 2010 Budget – Board discussed the need to prioritize projects for the 2010 budget, so action can be taken more quickly in 2010 to use funds. Projects for 2010 can be compiled from existing 2009 budget, as well as include new items, such as:
- 5.3.1 Hoffman Park – reduce the size of the basket ball court for safety.
- 5.3.2 Hoffman Park – resurfacing tennis courts.
- 5.3.3 Hoffman Park – correct lighting.
- 5.3.4 All parks – research substitute for wood carpet under play structures and swings.
6. Correspondence / Community Concerns
No correspondence or community concerns presented.
7. Special Project Reports 2009 – One-time or Reoccurring
- 7.1 Sycamore Park Appreciation Day/Clean-up – Barry headed up Sycamore’s clean-up.
8. Recreation Department Park Management
- 8.1 Belmont Park graffiti removal – Board decided that it was best to take a proactive stance on the graffiti removal in Belmont. Jeri scheduled the contractor to remove the graffiti and the job was completed.
- 8.2 Tree maintenance –
- 8.2.1 Sycamore Park tree maintenance – Board discussed the quotes for the maintenance to the sycamore. Action Item: Jeri to contact Johnson & Co. to schedule the work.
- 8.2.2 Hays Park tree maintenance – 99 Nyack homeowner claims that they cannot obtain insurance without the tree limbs overhanging their house being trimmed. Action necessary?
- 8.2.3 Tree removal / maintenance: all parks – The tree committee and Bob Bartmann created a list of tree issues that should be addressed with the $10,000 Forestry Maintenance budget. Action Item: Jeri to compile list and obtain quotes from 3 contractors.
- 8.2.4 Log removal in Interboro Park – Don reported that in one of the large storms, a tree had fallen across the path/bridge. Jeri said the borough workers had cut it and removed it from the bridge.
- 8.3 Marlyn Park, right of way issue – Don asked about the right of way from Eldon into Marlyn Park and whether it was being addressed in the Master Site Plan. Michael Schleigh said that he would bring the issue up in Council. Action Item: Jack, Jeri, Jeannette to follow up with the Marlyn Park Master Site Plan Committee.
- 8.4 Interboro Vernal Pond – Don reported that he had heard from the state and they said that they do not spray generally for mosquitoes. He said that he would forward the reports that he receives via e-mail noting how many cases of West Nile have been discovered in the area.
- 8.5 Pennock Woods – Jack reported that a 4-wheeler had been through Pennock Woods.
9.Calendar of Events
- 9.1September 13th 2-4pm – Hoffmann Park Appreciation Day.
- 9.2September 26 th 3pm – Park Day / Movie Night
- 9.3October 11 th 2-4pm – Marlyn Park Appreciation Day
10.Recreation and Parks Board Budget Report, Jeri Staiber
Jeri distributed the budget reports.
11.Park Usage Request
Permit requested for party of 150 people for Hoffman Park for 2010. Issues to be discussed at next meeting.
12.Next Board Meeting – Monday, September 21, 7:00p.m. at Borough Hall.