Human Relations Commission Minutes
January 25, 2011
Joan Reivich, Chairperson, Fran Wayne, Vice-Chair, Dale Cranmer, Secretary, Pamela Whitney
Absent: Paul Manns
- Meeting called to order at 6:30 PM by the Chair.
- Motion to accept minutes from the November meeting was unanimously accepted.
- Report on possible Hate Crime-Joan has spoken to Mr S. He has not reported the crime as a hate crime; we continue to offer resources.
- Immigrant Outreach-Fran has made contact with the Buddhist community. Will follow up again with other groups and a translator. Pam has contacted Sr Angela Fellin from Mercy Fitzgerald and will make an appointment to meet with her. Joan is going to follow up with Pastor Moses Dennis. Dale is going contact Janet Hinshaw-Thomas. We would like to provide information about the commission and determine if they are aware of the borough services and are comfortable using them. We will emphasize outreach to immigrants.
- Haverford & Abington Townships-Joan met with one of the Haverford Township commissioners to answer questions regarding their pending legislation to create a HRC. Joan and Fran later attended their Township meeting and Joan testified regarding how the HRC works, the related costs and contributions to the community. Mayor Young also attended and gave testimony. Joan has also provided information to Abington Township regarding the establishment of a commission.
- Library Display-April is available. Theme will be “Immigrants in America”. Fran will coordinate the display case creation. We will consider having an event as well. Dale offered his assistance on this project.
- Bookmark -work continues. Dale will seek a resource for assistance with Microsoft Publisher.
- Conversation with Ann Van Dyke-Ann works in the Education/Community Services Division of the PHRC. She clarified that we could not seek legal assistance from the PHRC on any specific case that we might be investigating.
- Spring Meeting with Local HRC’s- schedule a meeting on April 30. We will consider inviting one or two members of the Philadelphia local HRC. Joan will send invitations, Fran will secure a location, Pam will facilitate the meeting, Dale will coordinate the refreshments.
- STATS for 2010-Pam will send the document out for review.
- Meeting was adjourned at 8:30 PM