Board of Health
July 13, 2010
The regular monthly meeting of the Lansdowne Board of Health was held on Tuesday, July 13, 2010 at 7:00 pm. in Borough Hall. Present were Betsy Riffert, Marla Shawaryn McLaughlin, Ph.D. and Bertha Phillips. Absent were Dr. Romney and Mike McCall. Council Liaison Schleigh joined the meeting via conference call.
The June minutes were approved by Dr. McLaughlin and Betsy Riffert, with approval coming via email by Dr. Romney.
The Health Officer’s May and June invoices were reviewed and accepted as presented.
Health Officer’s Report
The Health Officer’s May and June reports were read and accepted as presented.
- Home Based Businesses: Councilman Schleigh stated that this proposed ordinance went in front of Public safety, and they passed it along to the Codes Committee for their review. They will be looking into the zoning aspect of home-based businesses.
- Public Health Initiative: Ms. Phillips gave Councilman Schleigh as update as far as the Library Board’s participation. Ms. Phillips stated that the paperwork that the Homeless Coalition Services of Delaware County distributed to the Board of Health was given to the Library Board. They are planning g to discuss this with the new Director, once hired. Dr. McLaughlin stated that progress on narrowing down the exact type of training is coming along and the Board will continue to discuss “training” for employees as well as those who are in the public eye. Ms. Riffert will check with other municipalities regarding their policies on dealing with those who appear to have mental health issues, and how it affects public meetings.
- Business Recycling: Ms. Riffert distributed a “recycling questionnaire” that she asked for Board’s approval to send to retail/eating and drinking establishments. This questionnaire comes in response to a retail food store stating that they will not recycle until they are advised to in writing. This will also give Ms. Riffert a good opportunity to check with other businesses as well. Final approval for questionnaire will be given via email vote, so this can get out to area businesses before the Board’s next meeting, which will not be held until September 14th.
- BBQing: Inspector Cook’s response to the Board’s questions about Provisions cooking out back of their rented retail establishment was not received in time for the July meeting. Her response will be forwarded to the board once received.
- West Nile Virus Campaign: Councilman Schleigh inquired about the West Nile Virus and how the Board of Health could possibly get the word out, besides the web site. The next borough newsletter will not come out until the Fall. Ms. Phillips stated that the Lansdowne Leader will be distributed sometime in August and will ask them to write an article about West Nile prevention. Ms. Riffert stated that the County is doing spraying on 7/14, in the vicinity of Holy Cross Cemetery in Yeadon.
- Sycamore expansion: The Sycamore restaurant has expanded and additional licensing fees will apply, due to the increase in square footage.
7:44pm. Next meeting September 14, 2010
Betsy Riffert, Secretary