Board of Health
February 9, 2010
The regular monthly meeting of the Lansdowne Board of Health was held on Tuesday, February 9, 2010 at 7:00 pm. in Borough Hall. Present were Bertha Phillips, Betsy Riffert and Mike McCall, Council Liaison Schleigh and new member Marla Shawaryn McLaughlin, Ph.D. Absent was Dr. Romney.
The January minutes were approved as submitted.
No bills to approve. Inspector Spangler is out on medical leave.
Health Officer’s Report
No report to approve, see above.
- Home Based Businesses: Councilman Schleigh reported that the changes to the ordinance, as proposed by the Board, will go to the Public Safety Committee for their input. The February meeting of this Committee was cancelled due to snow. Next meeting for them is Wed., 3/10.
- William Penn School District Letter: Ms. Hummel was sent a copy of the letter as well as copies of Carl Spangler’s inspection reports. She was asked to report back.
- Inspector Spangler: It appears that Carl Spangler’s health is preventing him from working. Betsy Riffert will look into other options. She will report back at the March 9th meeting.
- Borough Council Meet and Greet: Mike McCall, as the new President of the Board of Health, was asked to attend this meeting on Monday, 2/22 at the Twentieth Century Club. We, instead, asked Marla McLaughlin to attend and she graciously accepted. She’ll report back at the 3/9 meeting.
- Public Health and the Homeless: Councilman Schleigh discussed a new function of the Board of Health that he would like to see us try to accomplish. He reported about the homeless, interactions between residents/staff and homeless, and the need for more help for those citizens. The Lansdowne Library was brought up as a specific example of homeless using this public building as bathing facilities, of being disruptive and not to mention their hygiene.
The Board discussed how they could possible address this issue. Bertha Phillips mentioned that Marcella Melot and Marie Campuzano, both Library Board members, work with her at homeless shelters. She will seek their input on homeless at the library and how to help
Marla McLaughlin, Ph.D. mentioned educating the staff on not only how to deal with the homeless, but ways to help them get to somewhere warm and where’s there is food.
The Board agreed with both points that Dr. McLaughlin and Ms. Phillips brought up and these two issues will be discussed at future meetings.
7:40pm. Next meeting March 9, 2010
Betsy Riffert, Secretary